Podcast (n): a digital audio file available via the internet for streaming or downloading. Typically podcasts are episodic and have ongoing episodes that are released on a regular basis.
Think of it like Netflix meets radio. Instead of getting in your car, turning on the radio, and listening to whatever someone else thinks is interesting, you can open an app on your phone or webpage on your computer, and find a topic you actually want to listen to.
How does it work? Here’s the bitesize version:
- A person or group decides they want a podcast.
- They do some research and planning to determine the focus of their podcast.
- Next, they record their episodes on a computer, phone, or digital recorder.
- They might choose to edit the episodes to make the audio better and then upload them to a media host like Libsyn, Blubrry, or Simplecast.
- Those episodes are then posted on the person’s website and the site creates a podcast RSS feed.
- The RSS feed is submitted to platforms like iTunes and Stitcher.
- The episodes are now available everywhere online to be streamed and downloaded.
Please check out and support our sponsor