So, you want to start a podcast. What do you actually need?
Let’s cover some of the foundational pieces of getting your podcast off the ground.
1. A way to record:
- Simple: Phone
- Medium: Computer and software
- Best: Hardware
2. A way to edit the audio:
3. A place for the media file to live:
- Podcast Media Host: A website is a bad server to host a podcast on because podcasts demand more bandwidth than most sites are built for. Look at using a host like Libsyn, Blubrry, or Simplecast.
4. A place for the podcast to live:
- Website: The media file is the audio file that is referenced when you are listening to the podcast, but you also need a site that connects to the media host. For this, using an actual website is important because allows you to control your RSS feed. WordPress is an extremely robust and flexible site, and this is what I use and recommend.
- Platforms like: iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, Spotify (with help)
- Strategies like: Social, newsletter, PR, etc.
Next episode, I talk to CEO of RawVoice, the parent company of awesome podcasting resources like Blubrry hosting and the PowerPress player about what an RSS feed is and why it matters.
Please check out and support our sponsor